Skip to content
Here’s a list of my ham radio gear.
Rigs (in order of acquisition)
Radio Shack HTX-202 2m handheld transceiver (busted LCD after 4 years, lost in a move).
Alinco DJ-S11T miniature 2m handheld transceiver, 340 milliwatt (lost in a move).
Yaesu FT-50 Dual-band VHF/UHF handheld transceiver (donated to K6RZ in the early-2000’s after discussing his CB adventures & getting him hooked on ham radio).
- 2003: Yaesu VX-7R tri-band (6m, 2m, 440) handheld transceiver, still in use today.
- 2017: Yaesu FT-857D mobile HF/VHF/UHF mobile transceiver in a Commander 857 Go Box.
BaoFeng UV-3R Plus VHF/UHF 2m/440 handheld transceiver (in a drawer somewhere unused).
mcHF clone RS-918SSB HF QRP portable transceiver (160m-10m) (donated to K8MRD).
Radioddity GD-77 dual-band (2m/440) DMR digital/analog handheld transceiver (donated to KB6DEF).
- 2018: Kenwood TH-D74A tri-band (2m/220/440) D-Star digital/analog APRS HT.
- 2018: Elecraft KX3 portable 160-6m HF transceiver with PX3 Panadapter, KXAT3 Internal ATU and KXPD3 paddle, in a SideKX cover.
- 2019: Kenwood TH-D72 dual-band (2m/440) HT with full-duplex capability and built-in TNC, purchased from W5KV.
AnyTone AT-D878UV GPS dual-band (2m/440) DMR digital/analog handheld transceiver (returned, transmit malfunction after 2 weeks of use).
- 2019: µBITX HF SSB/CW 10w transceiver kit with 3D printed enclosure (courtesy of WE4B and his daughter W4AQT, thanks!).
- 2019: Icom ID-4100A 50 watt dual-band (2m/440) DStar digital/analog mobile transceiver.
- 2020: FlexRadio Flex-6400 160m-6m SDR transceiver and Maestro control console.
- 2020: QYT KT-8900D Dual Band 25 watt VHF/UHF mobile transceiver for use in packet radio.
- 2020: Icom ID-31A Plus UHF handheld transceiver for DV hotspot.
Comet M-24 mag-mount dual-band VHF/UHF mobile antenna
- 2017: N9SAB‘s “Stealth” 40m-6m Off-Center Fed (OCFD) multiband dipole with 4:1 matching transformer rated for 100w.
- 2018: PreciseLOOP HG-1 80-10m magnetic loop antenna (45w PEP max, 10w max on 80m) – I have had 7400+ mile confirmed QSLs with this antenna at obstructed street level.
HVU-8 80m/40/20/15/10/6/2m/70cm vertical base station antenna (200w PEP max, 150w on VHF/UHF FM) – Home QTH vertical antenna, atop 16ft of military poles (taken down in the Great Move of 2019).
- 2018: Elecraft AX1 20m/17m coil whip antenna, max 15w, made for the KX series but can be used for any QRP radio.
- 2018: Ed Fong Roll-up J-Pole 2m/440.
- 2018: DIY HQD™ Speaker Wire Antenna cut for 20m.
- 2018: Wolf River Coils “Take It Along” SB1000 coil vertical whip antenna – amazing results! Tunes near resonant on 80-10m.
- 2018: Trunk-mount TRAM 2m/70cm 19″ vertical coil mobile capable of 100w for repeater use during commutes – 50+ mile repeater range while on 5w power.
- 2019: Nelson Antennas Matchbox 9:1 unun end-fed random wire antenna 41′ with 17′ counterpoise for 80-6m. <– primary home antenna as of 2020.
- 2019: Arrow II 146-437-10WBP yagi handheld antenna for satellite and distance operation (courtesy of N9BAV, thanks!).
- 2019: QuirkyQRP SlinkTENNA 80-6m compact helical dipole antenna for NVIS and portable ops.
- 2020: Arrow OSJ J-Pole for 2m/440 at the home QTH.
- 2020: The K6ARK Magic™ AnT™ a QRP end-fed random wire antenna with a 41′ radiator and ingenious 9:1 un-un built into the BNC connector. This is my primary SOTA antenna.
- 1200w portable gas generator.
- Powerwerx SS-DV30 AC switching power supply for when the grid is up (30A) with Powerpoles.
- Sunkingdom 39w 12v Foldable Solar Panel.
- Hardened Power Systems Commander 857 turnkey Ammo Can Go-Box for the Yaesu FT-857D with 2x10Ah Dakota LiFePO4 batteries.
- DIY Headway 40152S LiFePO4 12v 4s1p 15Ah power box with 100A BMS and Genasun 10.5A Solar Charge Controller.
- Bioenno LiFePO4 12.8v 3Ah battery, packed with KX3 in a “pretty case“.
- Many DIY LiFePO4 12.8v homebrew battery packs custom made from 26650, 32700, Sinopoly prismatic, or Headway LiFePO4 cells.
- HQST 100w RV rigid mono-cell solar panel (with a 100Ah Sinopoly prismatics build and MPP Solar Inverter, powers my home shack Flex and LDG tuner).